accessibility_new Dyslexia Friendly

I’ve eaten something that’s made me ill

When you purchase food whether it’s from a shop or a café or restaurant the Consumer Rights Act 2015 states that the food should be of satisfactory quality and safe to eat. If you find a foreign body in your food or after eating, you become ill because the food wasn’t of satisfactory quality then you can pursue the trader for damages under Scottish Common Law.

What should I do?

If you are concerned that you have food poisoning after eating contaminated food, you should:

Seek medical assistance; in the first instance you should contact NHS 24 giving them detailing your symptoms,

You should contact the trader as soon as possible to report the issue and follow this with a formal letter of complaint with a request for damages.

Any instances of food poisoning or foreign bodies in food should be reported to the Food standards agency, it may useful to keep any foreign body, packaging with the batch number or leftover food in the fridge or freezer if possible (in case its wanted for testing).

You can also report this matter to Trading Standards, click here to find out how to do this.

Last updated: 29 March 2019

Delivery Law Consumer Advice and Reporting

You can find out more about delivery law here.

Privacy Notice

You can find our privacy notice here. We will never sell your data.

You can find our complaints process here.

You can find our Service User Expectations & Service Plan here.

Powered by